Welcome to the best recreational facility in North Carolina – Lake Norman, also known as the Inland Sea.
About this fabulous resource
- Lake Norman was completed in 1964 by Duke Energy to provide power for the region
- Cowans Ford Dam is 130 feet high and 1,279 feet long
- The distance from Lookout Shoals Dam to Cowans Ford Dam is 34 miles
- Lake Norman has a surface area of 32,500 acres and has 520 miles of shoreline
- The Lake holds 3.4 trillion gallons of water and is 130 deep at its deepest point
- This body of water is the fifth in a chain of nine lakes on the Catawba River
- There are 10 public boat access areas on the lake including Lake Norman State Park and 7 fee based boat access areas
- Lake Norman has 16 marinas on the lake providing a variety of services including gas, dockage, storage, boat sales, and repair services
The Lake Norman Marine Commission wants you to safely enjoy your time on the lake with family and friends. Please enjoy the lake responsibly and help keep everyone safe.
LAKE NORMAN MARINE COMMISSION
The Lake Norman Marine Commission (LNMC) consists of 5 members appointed by the Counties bordering Lake Norman—Catawba, Iredell, Lincoln and Mecklenburg. As defined by the North Carolina 1969 State Statute, the LNMC is responsible for taking appropriate responsibility for Lake Norman and its shoreline area for all matters relating to or affecting public recreation and water safety. As part of these duties the LNMC maintains a Navigational Marker System, encourages and promotes Boater Education, works with Duke Power on lake development as part of their FERC license requirements, developed and manages a long range Aquatic Plant Management Plan for Hydrilla and works with county, town and state government agencies as well as other organizations and the public in addressing important lake issues.
The Marine Commissioners are easily reachable by the general public and are open to your comments and suggestions. Please contact the Marine Commission to volunteer or express your suggestions or concerns about Lake Norman.
Chairman – Billy Wilson
Catawba – David Scott
Iredell – Rick Howard
Lincoln – Michael Hughes
Mecklenburg – Dennis Eddinger
MAP OF LAKE NORMAN AIDS TO NAVIGATION (ATONs)
Click Interactive Map Below to Explore